Jamie's Reviews > Surprised by Oxford

Surprised by Oxford by Carolyn Weber

Nov 28, 11

Read in November, 2011

How do you criticize someone's personal faith journey? It's impossible. This book did not have the depth to serve as anything more to me than an interesting look at just that: an individual and personal faith journey. I was frustrated by the struggle between unbelieving and Christianity: should it not be unbelieving and simply believing? After all, all religions are right and all religions are wrong: "any idea of Him we have He must in His mercy shatter."

It would have been far more compelling if (as I'd hoped) Weber investigated many different faiths and found a spiritual home but instead she is awakened to Christianity by (surprise, surprise) a tall, dark, and handsome man, who (of course) she later marries. And if this man had been a tall, dark, and handsome Hindu? Muslim? We don't see the bigger faith journey of simply recognizing something bigger than yourself because the focus is always on Christianity as the saving Grace and not on the Grace itself.

But a nice story is still a nice story.

I wouldn't recommend this book, overall, but those who are searching will find comfort in it and those who love literature will delight in the references throughout.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Surprised by Oxford.