Julia's Reviews > A Beautiful Friendship

A Beautiful Friendship by David Weber

Despite the somewhat cheesy cover, I'm giving this book 4 stars because I really did enjoy it - though it has it's flaws. Partially this is because I'm SO glad to read a book that is straight science fiction & not another dystopia. I don't think there's been enough solid science fiction for young people, which is a real shame. That being said, the afore-mentioned flaws include some relatively weak writing of characters. The world building is great. The plot is well executed, if a little predictable. However, there's alot of "telling, not showing" happening as the story is written. The most well rounded characters are the alien treecats, because we get to see into their heads & hear their individual voices. The humans - even the heroine - come off as a little flat in comparison.

Despite that criticism, this is an enjoyable tale & fairly different than much of what's available out there right now for young people. I will want to read any future intallments, I'm sure. I recommend it for ages 10 and up in maturity, but due to it's relatively high reading/comprehension level, I might also suggest most readers would enjoy it more once they're in 6th - 7th grades and up.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Beautiful Friendship.

01/17/2014 marked as: read