Casey's Reviews > The Wright Brothers: How They Invented the Airplane

The Wright Brothers by Russell Freedman

Nov 28, 2011

Read in November, 2011

1. Classification: Biography/Autobigraphy junior books

2. Summary: This is such an amazing biography on the Wright Brothers. This story is full of facts, quotes, and pictures of the Wright Brothers from children all the way up to death. Follow Wilbur and Orville Wright as they start out as bicycle mechanics and evolve into one of histories greatest wonders.

3. Critique:

a.) I grew up spliting my years between Hampton Roads and Kitty Hawk where my grandparents have a summer beach house. I have always known a lot about the Wright Brothers when it came to flying but other than that they were a mystery. This story has amazing photographs of the brothers and I learned a lot about their history starting from childhood.

b.) The photographs throughout the story are so wonderful. I'm a huge photography fan and it was really neat to see what they looked like when they were younger and to get the experience to feel as though I was a part of their history.

c.) I never would have known how the Wright Brothers went from bicycle mechanics to flying. It always seemed like such a weird change in interests even though they were both similar in the way of being forms of transportation. I discovered while reading that the Wright Brothers interest in flying sparked from a gift their grandfather gave them when they were boys. "It was a helicopter made of cork, bamboo, and paper; powered by a twisted rubber band attached to twin propellers." (page 9).

4. Curriculum Connection: It is clearly obvious that this novel would be a great connection to history. I would say that this story is for older students like 5th and 6th grade due to the length and girth of information provided in the book. The students could do a research project on the Wright Brothers in small groups and do a tri-fold presentation. One group could do their childhood, one could do their college years, bicycle to flight years, and death, etc. It would be such a fun project. The kids could even build a paper airplane to include in their presentations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wright Brothers.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 2: by Sue (new)

Sue Freedman does an amazing job integrating photographs into the biogrpahy - he's a master.

Casey I would have to agree with that. The old black and whites were so much fun to look at!!