Kristin Campbell's Reviews > Harriet the Spy

Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh

F 50x66
Nov 28, 2011

Classic (Novel)
Harriet Welsch is an eleven year old, an aspiring writer and spy, and lives in New York City. Harriet carefully watches others and writes her thoughts down in a notebook and has a “spy route” where she spies on her neighbors and friends. Harriet's life starts to change when her parents attend a party and when they come home they fire her nanny, which makes Harriet sad. Harriet loses her notebook at school and her classmates find it and make fun of Harriet. Then, Harriet starts to spy on them and think of ways to punish them. Harriet spends all her time in class writing in her notebook as a part of her plan to punish the Spy Catcher Club. As a result of never doing her schoolwork, her grades fall and her parents take away her notebook. Eventually through a string of event the Spy Catcher Club falls apart and everyone becomes friends again. Harriet is appointed editor of the class newspaper, featuring a story on Harriet’s spy route.
I liked this book because I thought it would appeal to students because it would let their imagination wonder about what if this really happened to them. This book was a fun and exciting read and keeps me wanting to find out what happened next. I also liked the few illustrations because I thought it helped describe the scenes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harriet the Spy.