J.A. Belfield's Reviews > Drink Deep

Read from November 28 to 30, 2011

**WARNING: THIS REVIEW CONTAINS MAJOR SPOILERS!**

Well ...
Um ...
I'm almost at a loss for words. Which is most unusual.
Okay, let me try again.
The entire first 3/4 of this novel just felt ... wrong. It had nothing to do with the plot. Nothing to do with the writing. It did, however, have absolutely everything to do with the fact that Ethan was not present.
Every dream she had? I wondered where they were leading. In my head, I thought: she's never going to bring him back? How the hell can she do that? The dude was nothing but a pile of ashes, for goodness sake. How can she plausibly bring back something like that? And whilst I spent the entire novel wishing he was still around, I also spent the entire novel arguing the point that it would never work if the author did something that bizarre and extreme. And then she did exactly that--which left me in a WTHeck! moment. I still don't 'get' how I'm supposed to accept this as plausible. How I'm expected to grasp the physics of this. I'm almost at a loss. I can only say that Ethan Sullivan had so better rock my world with his presence in the next book--and there had so better be some glitches to his new existence because for it to be otherwise would just be ridiculous--because if he doesn't, then this move will turn into an epic fail as opposed to total appeasement for the reader.

Oh ... and I 100% figured out that Mallory had something to do with all the magical happenings way early on in the book. The only thing I got wrong on that account was who was controlling her. I hadn't expected it to be herself. Perhaps I wanted it to be Simon. Because I was once again struggling with believability on her sudden power hungriness. Something else that will need a little more depth adding in the next book, I think.

So I'll finish by saying: Do I jump for joy that he's back and just be ecstatic compared to the sadness I felt at the end of book 4? Or do I reserve judgement until I'm assured the author can truly pull this turn of events off? I'm currently undecided. What's your thoughts?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drink Deep.

11/29/2011

Michelle I agree with the Mallory thing. There is a lot riding on the next book. I am really happy that he's there. I felt there was something missing in the beginning.

message 2: by J.A. (last edited Nov 30, 2011 10:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

J.A. Belfield There is a lot riding on the next book. I'll certainly be reading on, though. :o)

Michelle J.A. wrote: "There is a lot riding on the next book. I'l certainly be reading on, though. :o)"

I agree completely!

Carrie (Badass, Alpha-male, Cowboy Connoisseur ) ah! you finished. I was wondering how you would feel about the ending. I felt jipped acutally because it was so rushed, I wanted the heat between them, more content on their reunion. I also figured out it was Mallory early on. I felt like this was a filler book and I am hoping that #6 is more forthcoming on Ethan, Merit and the whole Gabriel thing.

J.A. Belfield Yes! The ending felt VERY rushed from him stepping from whatever misty like nonsense he stepped from to the ending. I wanted some lurve, dammit, after the author had flipping well tortured us. The next book had better be mighty fine, that's all I'm saying. :o)

Brenda Demko I had the Mallory thing guessed since the last book. I agree that it felt rushed. I just hope that it's real. The whole lemon smell when he appeared makes me think that Tate was somehow involved too. I don't want to get my hopes up, believing that he's back, just to lose him again. He was not exactly acting like himself, so I'm reserving judgement until Biting Cold!

J.A. Belfield Brenda wrote: "I had the Mallory thing guessed since the last book. I agree that it felt rushed. I just hope that it's real. The whole lemon smell when he appeared makes me think that Tate was somehow involved to..."

Damn, why'd you have to go and voice all my concerns. I was suppressing them in a 'bury my head in the sand' kinda method. :o)

Maria Pussycat I have so many mixed feelings about this... the end of #4 was such a blow, that something was lost for me there and then. Although he is back is a kind of bittersweet taste. I agree most of this book was just not doing it for me, without Ethan it felt flat.
Then he is back but just as fast and as unexpected(sort of) as he was gone!
I cannot think of what would make me feel 'good' again. Even if he is here to stay, and they get HEA fighting evil together or whatever, I am not sure it will now make me happy! ....

J.A. Belfield Maria Pussycat wrote: "I have so many mixed feelings about this... the end of #4 was such a blow, that something was lost for me there and then. Although he is back is a kind of bittersweet taste. I agree most of this bo..."

I agree. Which is why there is a lot riding on the next book. She's either going to pull it back and regain her readers trust or she's going to totally blow it. I'll read on to see, though, if only out of the curiosity from one author to another. :o)

Maria Pussycat Yes, I think I am curious too, although just mildly :)