Nicola-Jane Henfrey's Reviews > Infernal Devices

Infernal Devices by K.W. Jeter

Nov 29, 11

Read from November 28 to 30, 2011

This book was like a roller-coaster but at times not in a good way.

Opening the book and glancing over the first few pages is enough to scare many people away. The clever narration of George Dower is written in faux-Victorian prose, it contains long sentences and a requirement to have either a Kindle or a dictionary handy to decipher some of the vocabulary.

Writing from my own personal experience; it took five pages until I began to get used to this narrative but once I was in I was indeed in and enjoying the story.

The story starts off fantastic. There's an air of mystery, plenty of mystery and George Dower is just so gosh darn likeable! He's a bumbling Victorian of mild stature of the 19th century, he is going to be useless at certain straining activities many protagonists excel in.

But then the book suddenly gets... bad.

The plot is held together by sellotape. There is so much going on and the author clearly does not have the time or paper space to fully express everything. Interesting sub-plots crop up but are brushed under the carpet so something else extraordinary about to happen next paragraph only to be rushed once again.

In the last few chapters I honestly had no idea what was going on. The story was muddled, I grew tired of George's companions and the things I were promised were not in the book. Time Travel? Sure - read this and face the mega let down.

In conclusion; The beginning is fantastic and sets up a nice plot but I recommend closing it by that point and using your own creativity to make the perfect story in your mind.
It's a shame really, 145 pages in I honestly contemplated giving it five stars just because I loved George so much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Infernal Devices.

11/28/2011 page 42