Sue's Reviews > The House at Sea's End

The House at Sea's End by Elly Griffiths

Nov 28, 11

bookshelves: thrillers-and-chillers
Read in November, 2011

This is the third Ruth Galloway novel, and she is turning into one of my very favorite characters. I love that she's not physically perfect, and like all of us, feels intimidated by perfection. But at the same time, she is enormously accepting of herself and only gives minimal time to feelings of guilt where food is concerned. She has a great mind, and passion for her subject of forensic archaeology. And now she is a single mother, she also suffers from that weakness of all mothers, GUILT. She's the type of person I would really like to meet in the real world.

But as that can't happen, I can enjoy the books instead. And what great books they are. Real thrillers but mystical at the same time, full of history and mysteries - down to Cathbad, the modern day Druid, who amuses me enormously. And many other amazing and interesting characters, not least of them the land itself, ancient and beautiful. The House at Sea's End is a clever and unusual story, skillfully handled by Ms Griffiths so that it is fast-paced, but never unreal.

Please write quickly, Ms Griffiths - as usual you have left us wanting to know more, and I, for one, can't wait.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House at Sea's End.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Anne I agree. I love Ruth, Nelson, and Cathbad. These terrific characters make the books great.