Laurel Thomas's Reviews > Life, In Spite of Me: Extraordinary Hope After a Fatal Choice

Life, In Spite of Me by Kristen Jane Anderson

Nov 28, 11

Read in October, 2011

On a cold winter's night, Kristen Anderson decides to take a walk. She is having a difficult time with depression, having faced the death of three friends and her grandmother, then a sexual assault by a friend. During her walk, she finds herself in a train yard. Suddenly, the perfect solution appeared to her; she would lay on the tracks, and the oncoming train would end all her pain. But God has a different plan for her. She survives a potentially fatal accident to develop a newfound, yet tentative relationship with God. Her struggles inspire her to share her newfound faith and reach out to troubled youth.

Kristen does not build up to her accident like many authors would do. She brings us immediately to that night and every sight and sound she encounters, both before and after the train passes. It is surreal description of events and the reader feels like she or he is right there with her. The rest of the book moves deals with Kristen's ongoing depression and how it affects her recovery and future.

Kristen's story is absolutely amazing, and I was drawn in immediately. I cannot fathom how she physically survived the accident, much less did not succumb to shock from the trauma of it. I can definitely understand how she came to be at the railroad that night; depression is something I've struggled with myself. Even as a Christian, it is still sometimes difficult to deal with what life hands you. I appreciated that Kristen still struggled upon surviving the accident. The miracle of recovery cannot happen over night; she used that time to grow in her relationship with God. I am humbled that she took her pain and used it to help others in similar situations.

I received a free copy of this book for review purposes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life, In Spite of Me.