Christina's Reviews > Guardian

Guardian by Carole Cummings

Nov 15, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, m-m, magic
Read from November 12 to 14, 2012

An excellent read set in a fascinating world where characterization is the focal point. Two men were brought together by fate in a world of magic, murder, politics, and religion. With each chapter, the world slowly unfolds while the characters become more and more complex. The author gives us one puzzle-piece at a time and I was constantly wondering where the next one would fit. I loved how this kept me on my toes.

Wil and Dallin totally captivated me. Wil is a tormented soul who just wants to stop being afraid. He's on the run and carrying a heavy burden full of rage and agony. At times, he exhibits almost child-like qualities but he has strength and pride. I just adore him! Then there's Dallin, who's honorable, strong, and methodical. For him, everything has to be rational and logical. They come together in this world where they both have to learn to trust and where they begin to question their beliefs and their fate.

The author did a wonderful job describing the world. It was vivid and alive. The only issue I had was that some parts of the book moved too slow for my liking.

This was my first book by Ms. Cummings but it will not be my last.
12 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guardian.

11/12/2012
15.0% "Oh this is good!" 5 comments
11/12/2012
41.0% "Wil just can't catch a break :(" 5 comments
11/15/2012
100.0% "Wow, what an ending!"

Little Butterfly This sounds fascinating, Christina!

Christina It is Jodie! If you like fantasy, I recommend this one. There was no romance but I didn't miss it at all. I loved the characters. The only thing that bugged me was that it tended to drag a bit here and there.

message 3: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura This all sounds good to me, Christina. Sold! Wonderful review. I’m looking forward to a new author and puzzle. :)

Little Butterfly Going to add it :)

Christina Thanks Laura! I hope you enjoy it too.

message 6: by Ilhem (new) - added it

Ilhem a fascinating world where characterization is the focal point : my cup of tea!
Great review, Christine. Wil and Dallin are calling to me!

message 7: by Marina (new)

Marina Sounds interesting!

message 8: by Em (new) - rated it 5 stars

Em I've been meaning to read this for ages afer reading Carole Cummings, Wolf's-Own series. Glad you liked it:)

Christina Foolish wrote: "I've been meaning to read this for ages afer reading Carole Cummings, Wolf's-Own series. Glad you liked it:)"

Thanks! She created a unique world that was totally driven by and Wil and Dallin.

I haven't read her Wolf's series but I'm planning to. How did you like it?

message 10: by Em (new) - rated it 5 stars

Em I won't go over the top as I could talk about those books forever but the Wolf's-Own series are my favourite ever!!!

If you love, angst, great fantasy world building, enemy to lover etc etc then those 4 books are for you:) I'm gonna start reading Guardian (Aisling, #1) in a couple of weeks.

Christina Wolf's-Own sounds like a fun read. Hehe and I love enemy to lover themes. Is it adult or ya? I haven't looked at many reviews yet.

I hope you enjoy Aisling!

message 12: by Em (new) - rated it 5 stars

Em I class it as adult Christina. Are you ok with angst as there is a lot in it but it's REALLY worthwhile! Amsolutly amazing main charachters. Please let me know how you get on when and if you start it:D

Christina I fine with angst as long as I spread it out :)

I'll let you know!

message 14: by Em (new) - rated it 5 stars

Em Great:)

Loederkoningin I forgot to mention; I love your review. I've heard such good things about this book and you make it sound very fascinating. :)

Christina Loederkoningin wrote: "I forgot to mention; I love your review. I've heard such good things about this book and you make it sound very fascinating. :)"

Thank you! This is a great series. My only complaint is that at times it tends to more a bit slow.