Lizzy's Reviews > The 30-Day Vegan Challenge: The Ultimate Guide to Eating Cleaner, Getting Leaner, and Living Compassionately

The 30-Day Vegan Challenge by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau

F 50x66
Nov 28, 2011

did not like it
Read in October, 2011

I was very excited to get this book. I was looking for something to help us to get more in habit of eating fruits and vegetables, and looking for a few recipes to add into our regular meals. But I also needed something that would give me what we needed to eat (otherwise I could have just gone online and found all the information).

After going through the book and the meal plan I found I could not implement it for my family. I am a breastfeeding mom, and have a 4 and a 6 year old as well as my husband that make up our family. In no way could I find in this book what I needed to be HEALTHY. In her forward she talks about her choice in being a nutritionist, and in wanting to educate people that choose a vegan or vegetarian life style, how they can eat that way and be healthy.

She makes vague statements at times, like how she tries to eat Kale daily. Why? Does it complete a protein? Is it a super vegetable? Why does she do it, and why should we? It doesn't answer that.

In the diet plan there are no serving sizes listed. Which is fine, but I do remember learning that there are MINIMUM requirements you need to meet. Especially with the proteins of nuts and beans. Telling me to have a few nuts really tells me nothing.

I believe the author would have been better off writing a cookbook and then telling everyone to visit a dietician/nutritionist before starting the diet to educate themselves.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 30-Day Vegan Challenge.

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley There are no specific amounts per se. Anyone who eats a varied diet and a sufficient number of calories (which our body counts itself am tells us through hunger signals) should get enough protein and other nutrients. Keep it varied, colorful and fresh and you shouldn't have any problems.

Good vegan cookbooks in my arsenal are Chloe's Kitchen ( can be a lot of prep but everything can be made in advance and the results are picture perfect) by Chloe Coscarelli and 1,000 Vegan Recipes by Robin Robertson (sometimes they could use a little spicing up, but this is to taste and the recipes are truly easy and usually quick enough).

So long as your explore the produce section (and eat kale daily, it's a superfood), then you should be alright. Check in with an open-minded doctor every once in awhile if you feel the need and supplement vitamin B12 all year and vitamin D in the winter (as everyone should do who lives in a place where the sin shines less in winter). For RDA, see a guideline from the ADA or a doctor.

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather I suggest checking out "Main Street Vegan" if you want a book with more vegan nutritional info. I learned a lot from it.