Casey's Reviews > Cosmic

Cosmic by Frank Cottrell Boyce

Nov 28, 11

Read in November, 2011

1. Classification: Science Fiction- junior novel

2. Summary: This is the story of Liam, a twelve year old boy who appears to be thirty! Liam has the problem of constantly being mistaken as an adult especially on the first day of school when he was thought to be a teacher. Liam decides to use his appearence to his advantage and become a chaperone on a space mission with his friend Florida acting as his 'daughter.' Liam soon realizes that there is more to being an adult when the spaceship gets stranded.
3. Critique:

a.) I tend to stay away from the science fiction books because I often find them boring and unusual but this book was so funny.

b.) The biggest thing that allowed the reader to connect to the story is that it's told from Liam's point of view so it's like he is personally talking to you to retell the events that occured in his life to reach the point of being trapped on a spaceship. The way the author writes the story, Liam's point of view, allows the reader to feel the emotions that he is feeling like being happy and anxious, etc.

c.) This story is so intruiging because it's easy to relate to Liam and all of the obstacles he has to overcome...even though I doubt you are a 12 year old boy with a beard. I'm not too sure many of us have to face that challenge. The general idea of the story is so interesting and it makes for an unforgettable one.

4. Curriculum Connection: I'm not sure what literary connection you could use for this other than to discuss the genre of science fiction and how unrealistic it is. I would use this book to do a science lesson on space. I would read the novel to the class leading up to the lesson and then discuss all the different aspects of space and what they have to offer. We could even discuss history in the sense of space flight and the kids could do a research project on astronauts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cosmic.