Sabrina Laitinen's Reviews > Bright and Distant Shores

Bright and Distant Shores by Dominic Smith

Nov 28, 2011

Read in November, 2011

I was sent this novel from Simon and Schuster. It is a wonderful novel set in Chicago in the late 1800's. A real estate and insurance mogul hires a young explorer named Owen to travel to far flung places in search of artifacts for his newly opened sky scraper. Owen takes along the mogul's son, Jethro, who is interested in botany. They travel to distant islands in the South pacific island area, and encounter primitive live at that time. Through a chance meeting, they come in contact with a native boy Argus, and his sister Malini, who end up coming back to Chicago. There are lots of interesting sub-plots which are easy to follow along; they flow together to make up the entire story. I found that the ending left me still wondering what happened to problems encountered with the skyscraper, and for this deducted a star. I did not feel it was tied up neatly as it should have been, considering it had become an intricate part of the plot. Our book club had lots to discuss, with the challenges faced by the characters of particular interest.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bright and Distant Shores.