Michael Campbell's Reviews > Eight Men Out: The Black Sox and the 1919 World Series

Eight Men Out by Eliot Asinof

M_50x66
Dec 02, 11

Read from November 28 to December 01, 2011

Eight Men Out is the story of how the 1919 Chicago White Sox intentionally threw the World Series. The author, Eliot Asinof, wrote the book as "a reconstruction the Black Sox scandal drawn from a rich variety of sources and from research into all the scattered written material concerning it". In other words, the author conducted vast research of articles published during that time, court documents, and interviews with some of the White Sox players who were still living.

The author stated that the theme was to tell how the pressures of the baseball world of 1919 caused the players to engage in the "most important and gripping incident" in baseball history. The White Sox players were the most underpaid players in baseball and they were not allowed switch to any other team, so they decided to accept money to throw the World Series.

The style that Asinof wrote the book in is in narration form. The story went in chronological order. The story begins with describing how the players were bribed by big time gamblers. Then the author described each game and each play, including the mistakes they made to lose. Then at the end he described the court trial. The players were thrown out of baseball and could never play again.

I gave the book a three out of five stars. What I liked about it was the in depth descriptions of the games. What I did not like was that the entire book was pretty slow moving. It was similar to other books I have read in that I usually read books about sports.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eight Men Out.

11/28/2011 page 212