Valentina Heart's Reviews > Slave Master's Choice

Mar 14, 12

liked it
bookshelves: glbt, glbt-sf-futur-fantasy-paran, the-romance-reviews
Read from December 22, 2011 to January 15, 2012

This review was originally written for The Romance Reviews and can also be found there.

It's somewhat discouraging to find all the elements you love in m/m romance only to be disappointed thoroughly by their realization and lack of disclosure. The title itself was very appealing to me, because it does imply slavery, fantasy or SF and even possibly traces of BDSM. What's not to like? It turns out – quite a lot.

Alejandro is on some type of a scouting mission when his group is attacked and due to certain circumstances, he's taken into slavery by the hostile kingdom. There he becomes a pleasure slave in the service of the king.

Most of everything else listed in the blurb is not quite correct and I must say the hinted romance between Alejandro and Kendmund is only something that develops at the very end of the book and has little ground to stand on. It was a struggle for me to finish this story for several reasons. The world itself was only vaguely described and not a lot was said either about the people of the kingdoms. Providing a good story or a romantic relationship, I can get passed that and still enjoy the book, but this one didn't have any of that in my eyes and I do feel obligated to mention it. Alejandro is in fact a pleasure slave for the king and he does sleep with him often, but none of it is really shown and other than at the beginning he didn't even leave the impression of being a slave in the true sense of the word. Sure, a few insults from the side of the guards, but nothing else that showed the real servitude on his part. The romance might have worked if there had been passion between the characters from the start, but I didn't feel it at all. They experience a bit of attraction but it doesn't stand out nor do they act on it.

The story is written from both points of view and I do usually love that because it gives me insight into the whole story and helps me understand the characters as well as their actions. What it did in this instance is show me that I didn't really care for either of the men and couldn't find much of a personality in their actions, not to mention their words.

The writing style is elaborate and a bit difficult to grasp at times, especially during conversations, as on occasion, it does make the words sound fake and the characters acting out their own emotions. It also shows the author took great care in actually writing this story because the details are thought through and as an author I would venture a guess that this was a story Ms Gardner really wanted to write.

Usually I am very interested in her work, especially her BDSM flavored stories, but this one completely missed the mark with me and I can't say I enjoyed it. Even my rating speaks more about the respect I hold for the effort this author invested in her work, because it is obvious she tried to make this story great and labored over it for quite a while, but the level of ‘like' I hold for it is way below the rating itself. My advice would be to read reviews other than my own and then decide if you're willing to read this book or not.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slave Master's Choice.

12/22/2011 page 105