Lexi Elmore's Reviews > Sickened: The Memoir of a Munchausen by Proxy Childhood

Sickened by Julie Gregory

F_50x66
Nov 30, 11

I believe that Julie Gregory’s purpose for writing the book “Sickened” was inform us that there are many ways that parents abuse their children, but this one called Manchausen by Proxy Syndrome could possibly be the worst. In the story her mother takes her from doctors to doctors to get tested. She also explains how tough it can be to be a victim of this disease. It would be hard to live in a house hold such as this one.

The theme of the story is to stay strong during tough times like this one. If you were to give up, you wouldn’t ever make it through times like that. In the story, the little girl eventually gives up and runs away from home. After a month has gone by, she decides to return home and see her friends and family. When she returns and has been home a while, her mother continues to think she has something wrong with her and takes her to multiple doctors. By having this done to her, she only is getting stronger from this treatment.

The style of the book is an informational story about Manchausen by Proxy Syndrome. Its sad to think that there actually is parents out there treating their children like this and there is no one doing anything about it. Gregory wanted to get the information out there and to make people aware of this fatal sickness.

My opinion of this book makes me very sick. I didn’t know what to expect and I turned the next pages. This book makes me very sick just like the title says. I cant believe that the doctors or even her father didn’t see anything wrong with taking their daughter to the doctors office every day. But overall this is an okay book. I recommend this book to anyone who want to learn more about this terrible syndrome.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sickened.

11/28/2011 page 230