Renee's Reviews > The Eternal Ones

The Eternal Ones by Kirsten Miller

Nov 28, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, ya

I would really call this 2 1/2 stars...

Miller's writing is easy to read and just a tad aggravating. Every little thing that protagonist Haven is thinking is included in the novel. Every. Little. Thing.

If you can get past the writing, the story itself is not terrible. Basic synopsis: Haven grows up in a small religiously driven town in Tennessee. Because she is prone to suffering from visions of her previous life, said town is lead to believe she is possessed by the devil. When she is nearly 18 events prompt her to run to New York City and find her long-lost love from a previous life...but when she does, can she trust him?

Unfortunately, I found Haven herself to be pretty annoying. She is easily steered in any direction by anyone who speaks to her with the exception of her grandmother. If she gets advice from a character who she has known for about ten minutes she is more than willing to follow it until she receives contradictory advice from yet another character. The love interest is not much better. He is physically beautiful, but I could not tell you really anything about his personality. Their budding romance is pretty hard to swallow. Haven and Iain just might be "destined to be together" (an idea that rankles to begin with). By the time I was halfway through the novel I found myself completely ambivalent to whether or not they actually ended up together (no spoilers, you'll have to read it to find out).

If I liked the main protagonist a little more, and the love interest a little less Adonis-like and a little more of a real person, I would definitely bring this rating up a notch or two.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eternal Ones.