Mario's Reviews > The Redesign of Tomorrowland

The Redesign of Tomorrowland by L.N. Smith

Dec 02, 11

bookshelves: first-reads, fiction, speculative-fiction, philosophy
Read from December 01 to 02, 2011 — I own a copy

I love books with crazy, "Let's think outside the box, but first let's reinvent the box" type ideas, and this is definitely one of those. The general conceit of the book is that it is a redesign of the "Tomorrowland" area of Disney World with attractions that showcase the author's ideas -- a concept that makes a little sense at the beginning, but works less and less well as the book goes on.

This book is a little too short to give the ideas the author presents a just airing. There is one part about pollution, for instance, that I know is true, but it is only briefly touched upon, not justified by any argument, and the implications of the idea (how anyone would go about doing things differently) are not thought through. The section on economics is problematic for the same reasons -- the objectionable ideas are left unjustified by either data or argument, and the fact that the solutions proposed would create new problems is completely ignored. Overall, Smith strikes me as a person that is too attracted to easy solutions, but I suppose that's how you would have to think in order to write works like this.

The section on Space Mountain, though, leads me to believe that Smith (or Bert, whoever), could write some pretty decent Sci-Fi novels.

I received this free through Goodreads First Reads (thanks!).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Redesign of Tomorrowland.