Marla's Reviews > The Story of Beautiful Girl

The Story of Beautiful Girl by Rachel Simon

Nov 28, 11

Read in February, 2011

I adored this book - when someone asks me for a suggestion at the library I thrust it into their hands - that is if a copy is available! Rachel Simon tells a beautiful love story, and it's love on so many levels. There's the everlasting love of a young couple, the love of a parent and child, and the love of friends who help you through challenges in life. Lynnie, sent to live in a home for the feeble minded, runs away with a young mute black man. They find their way to Martha's house and Lynnie leaves her most precious possession behind, a newborn baby girl. She utters her first words in years, "hide her" before she's taken back to the institution. Martha, a retired schoolteacher who has barely held a baby acceptes the gravity of what she's been asked to do, and devotes her life to raising the baby. The beauty of this story is in how the paths of the characters connect, and disconnect, and intertwine, but mostly it's a story about love. You'll cry (more than once) and you'll root for Beautiful Girl, and for Martha, and for Homan, the man who couldn't speak his own name. Give this book to you friends, they'll thank you for it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Story of Beautiful Girl.