liberal sprinkles's Reviews > The Cloth Paper Scissors Book: Techniques and Inspiration for Creating Mixed-Media Art

The Cloth Paper Scissors Book by Barbara Delaney

F 50x66
I've never read a print issue of Cloth Paper Scissors though I'm a fan of the website, so the projects in this book were all new to me. Most of the techniques weren't, but I found the book well-edited in its choice of articles providing an excellent range of projects using different mediums, from fabrics and papers to wax and found objects. The techniques covered are also wide-ranging. There are chapters on printmaking and surface design; journals and bookmaking; collage and assemblage, mixed-media stitching; other mixed media like encaustics and working with metal.

Unless you subscribe to the magazine and have already read these articles (all previously published in print), I think there's enough in this book to inspire a person to make art, whether by replicating the projects using the step-by-step instructions, or by adapting the ideas to create a personal, unique piece. I do all kinds of crafts, from jewelry-making to sewing, mixed media and bookmaking, so I liked the wide variety of projects; this may not be everyone's cup of tea.

If you're unfamiliar with mixed media or art in general, there is advice on getting started and finding inspiration (although I think most of the projects are better suited for experienced artists and crafters). If you are thinking of making money from your craft, there is a chapter at the end on selling your art.

Overall, the book gave me a good impression of the magazine. If the articles and projects are always so varied and interesting, I'd consider paying for an overseas subscription.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cloth Paper Scissors Book.