Ken Kugler's Reviews > Caveat Emptor

Caveat Emptor by Ruth Downie

Nov 28, 11

Read in November, 2011

The worlds least likely hero, Gaius Petreius Ruso, is back in Britannia with his wife Tilla. His friend, Vallens, has offered to help him find a job but it seems he did not look until the last moment and offers Ruso a job as an investigator. There is tax money missing in Verulamium as well as a dead man and possibly more. Even though he is a Medicus by trade, Ruso needs a job and accepts the offer.
As is usual for Ruso, things are not what they seem and married life is full of complication. Tilla, his wife is strong willed and although the couple seems to truly love and respect each other, they clash and often at the wrong time.
Convoluted as always, Ruso's observations are astute and coming from a different perspective, insightful There are double crosses and double dealings galore and people from Ruso's past who keep poping up as well new people from the town of Verulamium that terrorize Ruso, his wife and Camma, a granddaughter of Boudica, a rebel queen from the generations ago
I love the twists and turns of this series. They are sometimes easy to see but never so out there as to say to yourself, "I don't believe it". The history is rich and characters have real depth so as to be believable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Caveat Emptor.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ellen (new) - added it

Ellen Fain I had no idea she had a new book out! I love this series! Just put a hold on it!

message 2: by Ken (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ken Kugler I got the first one as an arc and have been hookedever since. The writing is brilliant and Ruso is one of the most unlikely heros. I love his and Tilla's characters.

message 3: by Ellen (new) - added it

Ellen Fain my copy finally came in-so I will read it over my vacation!

message 4: by Ken (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ken Kugler When do you start your vacation, today?