Mj's Reviews > The Christmas Wedding

The Christmas Wedding by James Patterson

Nov 28, 11

bookshelves: fiction
Read on November 27, 2011

I would have rated this book a 2 1/2 if available, but rated it a 2 when I thought about how it compared to other books that I have rated a 3.

It was a very light read, an easy read (perhaps too easy) and a very quick read. The book has just over 200 pages counting a page for each chapter heading and a blank page between the chapter heading and the actual start of each chapter. It is also double spaced.

While I enjoyed the book if I hadn't taken it out of the library and purchased it for $30, I would have felt very ripped off.

I was looking for a Christmas/holiday book that I could curl up with and get really into....into the book and into the holiday season. I would say that this book was more about families and family gatherings like weddings than about Christmas and the holidays. Except for the description of the holiday decorations, the story could have easily taken place at any time of the year.

For the record, I have read other non-thriller/mystery books by James Patterson and enjoyed them. I am not a book snob and regularly enjoy lighter, feel good books. Unfortunately, this book was way too light. I enoyed it but honestly, it read like a throw away book, with minimal substance, written very quickly with minimal review or editing.

This book is definitely not up to James Patterson's potential. Call me cynical if you wish, but my guess is that this book was thrown together in a hurry for the sole purpose of a release just in time for a piece of the pie of the huge Christmas/holiday season book sales market.

It is way overpriced for what would make a good stocking stuffer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Christmas Wedding.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mj (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mj I would have rated this book 2 1/2 stars if available but instead rated it a 2 when I thought about how it compared to other books I have rated a 3.

If was a very light read, a perhaps too easy read and a very quick read. There were just over 200 pages including pages for chapter heads and counting the blank page between the heading and the actual start of the chapter. If I had not taken this book out of the library and purchased it for about $30 I would have felt very ripped off.

It is a feel good book. I would say it is more about families and family gatherings like a wedding than Christmas or the holidays. If you are looking for a holiday read like I was you will likely be disappointed. Except for the description of the Christmas decorations, the story could have taken place any time.

I have enjoyed James Patterson's other non-thriller books, am not a book snob and enjoy light reads. While I enjoyed the book somewhat, it was a major disppointment. The short, shallow book felt like a grab for the Christmas book sale market and was not the feel good, holiday book I was wanting to curl up and get really into.