Baiocco's Reviews > Rock 'n' Roll

420400
Jun 24, 08

bookshelves: plays
Read in June, 2008

I like Tom Stoppard but I really couldn't get into this. I borrowed it from my coworker who is a regular theater goer and he thought this play was great. Its a character very similar to Stoppard who is living between London and post-Russian occupation Czechoslovakia (pre Czech republic) Prague Spring with his record collection held dear to his heart. The play notes are very specific about which songs should be played at which time and which moment of the song, making me think that the production is more of a unified vision than just the play book, so I will give that to Stoppard, but without the music the story was kind of just a more intellectual (if that is possible) version of Milan Kundera's Unbearable Lightness of Being which is a dangerous book that a certain type of girl will read when she is in college and then recommend to you. It is like a bomb, and if this book gets recommmended to you by a girl you are dating, it means the relationship will take a disturbing and fruitless course before you lose your identity and she breaks up with you. Beware! Gettting Unbearable Lightness of Being recommended to you by a girlfriend is more of a bad omen than "We Need To Talk".

How great was Rosencrantz and Guildenstern though? Hilarious and profound. Rock 'n' Roll was neither but neither is Rock n Roll usually unless you are talking about Frank Zappa maybe.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rock 'n' Roll.