Dan Schwent 's Reviews > A Hollow Cube Is a Lonely Space

A Hollow Cube Is a Lonely Space by S.D. Foster

Jan 12, 12

bookshelves: bizarro, 2012, books-by-authors-i-have-interviewed, i-hate-short-stories
Read from December 13, 2011 to January 08, 2012

A Hollow Cube is a Lonely Space is a collection of Bizarro short stories by S.D. Foster.

A book of short stories, especially those written by a new author, is always a dicey proposition. Fortunately, S.D. Foster has a good grasp of the form. The stories within range from just a page to eight pages.

The 24 stories within cover quite a bit of ground. Some are a funny, some sad, and some thought provoking. All are more than a little strange. Standouts for me include Slothra, the story of an aging giant monster, Snowman, the tale of a man accidentally befriending an obnoxious snowman and waiting for winter to end, and The Course of Clementine, the story of a fruit's life.

Even though their writing styles are different, A Hollow Cube is a Lonely Space reminded me of Bradley Sands' collection, Sorry I Ruined Your Orgy. I'd like to see what S.D. Foster can do in a novel length tale, though.

Note: I did a blog interview with S.D. Foster here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Hollow Cube Is a Lonely Space.

01/08/2012 page 1
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jessica They were good and totally not what I personally would think bizarro to be but many are sad and introspective. Glad I got to read something a little different from bizarro land.

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan Schwent Slothra's ending was expectedly sad.