Paras Allana's Reviews > Sarah's Key

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

Dec 01, 11

bookshelves: mystery, historical-fiction
Read from November 28 to 30, 2011

I was looking forwrad to read this book. It seemed interesting, Sarah's story intrigued me and then I read this book. I didnt know anything abt France in that time of war, so that part was knowledgeable. Even before I read this book, I knew Sarah's story is going to be heartbreaking And it was, except the writing didnt conveyed it to me. And then there was another story, which was okay.

I think the biggest problem with this book was its writing style. I can not relate to Sarah's voice as hers, its way superficial for that. Julia, now I can say this, felt annoying. And the frequency with which the chapters went to and fro from both voices was too much. It could have been lessened and in my opinion, it would have been more effective that way.

I was disappointed with this book. Its not going to top of my list just because it tells me a story thats heartbreaking [used this word too many times already] but there has to be more. A multidimensional character, a deeper voice, the way I can relate to characters, and specially the way you write it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sarah's Key.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Philippa (new) - added it

Philippa Bit disappointed you didn't like it :( Did the switching narrative make you feel like you didn't get enough depth of either?

Paras Allana Yeah actually, Right when I was so involved in one story, the other one would jump up. I have read alternate scenario in The dispossessed [u might have read it. It was in literary exploration] but there, it gave a lot of time to life on one place then on another. That made it very interesting for me, for that book. Here, on the other hand, it weakens the writing even more.