Lauryn's Reviews > The Fairy Godmother

The Fairy Godmother by Mercedes Lackey

Dec 03, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy

I'm a fan of fairytale retellings. I had already read Mercedes Lackey's Elemental Master's series a few years ago which are all loosely based on fairy tales. I was surprised that she had done another series with a similar idea. And then I read "The Fairy Godmother" and realized that as much as it was a retelling, it was an untelling. What if it didn't work out for all Cinderellas? What about all of the princes who fail on their quests to find the sleeping princess? This seems to be the place from which Lackey created this series. I appreciated how it gave the female lead a choice to be something more.

The dark side of fairytales and The Tradition was interesting too. I like the message that sometimes doing things the way they have always been done is not the best solution. Also that things aren't always set in stone. One of my favorite subplots was that of Arachnia and how she was both good and dark at the same time.

While the story became a bit predictable with the introduction of Alexander, I appreciated how Lackey didn't shy away from highlighting his character flaws. I'm not sure that his reformation is that believable to me, but then again it's a fairytale. I did like that end the end the relationship was definitely a partnership and not one-sided.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fairy Godmother.