Jessica (Step Into Fiction)'s Reviews > Gravity

Oct 20, 12

bookshelves: arcs, blog-tours, 4-stars
Read in October, 2012

Review originally posted at Step Into Fiction

I would like to thank Shane from Itching for Books, Melissa West and Entangled for allowing me to be a part of this tour & receive an early e-arc copy to read & review.

This book was weird. Not a bad weird just...weird. I mean, it's a book about aliens, which is cool because I like aliens but the concept of them is so different from anything I've ever read. Like I'm not sure I can even explain what I want to without spoiling it...so (view spoiler)

There were bits and pieces of this book that had me going 'whaaaat?' a few times but then things cleared up. It had characters that I absolutely adored, even if we don't know too much about them (like Lawrence, we know he's the President's son and heir but really, we don't know a whole lot about him). I'm not sure I'm on board the Jackson train yet, though. Sure, he seems like a good looking guy, with plenty of charm and charisma but there's something missing. Not sure what it is...I really can't put my finger on it but I definitely have my eye on Lawrence. Sometimes I can't tell someone why a character appeals to me more than another character, call it a gut feeling but it's just my opinion, anyway. I like Jackson enough and everything but I'm not sure I fully trust him.

The story was different and especially Ari being the heroine. Most YA stories you read, the main character isn't always this strong character but they grow in to one, you know? Not the case. Ari is the Commander's daughter and 'scheduled' to marry Lawrence because of how strong of a union that would be for the 'people'. She trains with her father every morning and could kick pretty much anyone's ass without too much effort. I like that about her.

If you're expecting a series similar to the popular Lux series by Jennifer L. Armentrout, I hate to say this isn't it. Sure, they're both aliens but it's completely different plus, our main hottie isn't an asshole (though a hot asshole) like Daemon ;) But if you're looking for more alien/sci-fi type YA then please, read this. It's different, refreshing and strangely addicting.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gravity.

10/14/2012
17.0% "Liking it so far"
10/15/2012
36.0% "Ooooooh. It's getting real good!"
10/16/2012
67.0% "This is definitely different...however, I don't trust Jackson which makes it hard to truly like him..."
10/18/2012
83.0% "I'm torn..."
10/18/2012
100.0% "What an ending!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Giselle at BO-OK NERD Canada That ending.. I didn't understand it!! Lol Hahn! More questions!