Jen's Reviews > Kiss the Girls

Kiss the Girls by James Patterson

Jun 15, 08

Read in June, 2008

Okay, I am reading pulp fiction. Many people from my classes have recommended his novels and I thought I would see what all the hype is about. So far it is not well-written, but I am entertained. I liked the movie, although I think Ashley Judd is annoyingly condescending.

I have finally finished the book and it was one cliché piled on top of another. I don't know why authors feel they have to make women so perfect. Is it some form of misguided feminism or a male fantasy? I would argue male fantasy, but this sterotyping of the ideal female seems to be found in books by authors of both genders.

I am all for feminism, but is having a women that is smart, beautiful, kind, hilarious, scrappy, great with kids, independent, logical, and good in bed really all that realistic? I think some plausible neurosis needs to be included in any narrative, otherwise it is just a male fantasy (especially the beautiful and good in bed aspects) and not reflective of any woman with both talents and flaws.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss the Girls.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tone (new)

Tone Probably part male fantasy, part misguided feminism, and most of all, shameless use of cliché to sell books to a bored reading public. Your review hints that you are among a minority of readers who actually dares to reflect on what they are reading. Congratulations.