Tom Schulte's Reviews > Superheroes: The Best of Pop Culture and Philosophy

Superheroes by William Irwin

5720805
Nov 27, 11

bookshelves: philosophy

This is free for the Kindle! Anyway, with the Avengers individual movies largely behind us, the group epic less than a year way and so many other superhero flicks: Spider Man, Green Lantern, etc., this is a great read for someone more interested in philosophy than comics, per se. I think The Watchmen was the only comic of any kind I have read in my adult life, but I couldn’t walk about of the Green Lantern movie without referencing the august philosophical work Schopenhauer’s World as Will and Idea. So, I can see the same philosophical wrestling in today’s comic-based films, and I am sure the content is there on printed page, too. (I get the same inclinations watching Eisenhower-era monster flicks, like The Day the Earth Stood Still, Frankenstein, etc.) Regardless of the soundness of this popular art form as a basis, it’s a fun way to consider philosophy from Paul Kurtz to Kant to Aristotle and more. What it makes me wonder, is: Is this life imitating art, or the other way around? That is, do the artists behind these works draw from the same well as philosophers (overtly? Accidentally?), or am I and the author just reading too much into disposable pop art?
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Superheroes.