Tim's Reviews > Hounded

Hounded by Kevin Hearne

Dec 07, 11

bookshelves: audiobook, fiction
Read from December 06 to 07, 2011

A somewhat surprising book for me. I picked it up because it was on sale at Audible for a very low price so I didn't have a lot of hope for it, but in the end, I really liked it.

The book centres around a 2100 year-old druid (who looks to be in his early 20s) who is the last druid. Unfortunately, he's hiding from an Irish god. The book is an interesting take on mixing urban fantasy (e.g., The Dresden Files) with Celtic myth. In the book's world, the gods from all the world's religions (including the Christian God, Jesus, and Mary) and various mythological creatures exist, so that adds an nice touch I haven't seen in most urban fantasy that I've read.

Some of the highlights of the book are his conversations with his Irish Wolfhound, Oberon who he's taught to "speak" (with his thoughts). Oberon can't resist providing commentary about things and that adds a nice, humorous touch amidst the violence and danger.

One caution is that there is swearing in this book (although not a lot) and sex is mentioned (but not actually described) so I'd recommend it for older audiences only.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hounded.