Sheree's Reviews > Slide

Slide by Jill Hathaway

Mar 27, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, arc, fantasy-sci-fi, read-in-2012, reviews
Read on March 05, 2012

Slide is a refreshing, entertaining meld from debut author Jill Hathaway. A YA novel with a contemporary setting, a fantasy element and a page-turning mystery.

It's assumed Vee has narcolepsy like her mum who passed away from cancer 5 years before the story begins, but Vee doesn't sleep, she Slides.

I wish i could reach in, pull out her thoughts, examine them like a roll of film. But I don't have that kind of power. I am only a passenger. A witness.

I enjoyed Vee's 'ability', sliding was essential to the whodunit experience and vital for giving Vee some spunk. What I liked almost as much as the paranormal element was Hathaway's exploration of Vee's relationships, my favourite, Vee's relationship with her younger sister Mattie but the interaction between Vee and her often absent father, and friends Rollins & Zane were close behind.

She is my sister and my exact opposite in every way. If she’s the pink glitter on your valentine, I’m the black sharpie you use to draw mustaches on the teachers in your yearbook.

There are enough twists and red herrings to keep the suspense amped and if you can suspend belief (something I found challenging) the climax will satisfy.

For a read with a darkish tone this was a fun way to pass a few hours.

Favourite quote:

Strangers always say they're sooooo sorry when they hear my mother is gone, but it's wrong that death is a loss.

It's something you gain. Death is always there, whispering in your ear. It's in the spaces between your fingers. In your memories. In everything you think and say and feel and wish. It's always there.

Check out the covers for Slide on my blog http://teddyree-theeclecticreader.blo... My favourite is still the US cover with the Norwegian a close second. How 'bout you?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slide.

03/05/2012 page 256