Lucy's Reviews > Of Love and Shadows

Of Love and Shadows by Isabel Allende

F_50x66
Dec 19, 11

Read from November 27 to December 09, 2011

Wow, this book was incredibly captivating and memorable. I picked it up because I loved Allende's book Island Beneath the Sea--without knowing anything about its plot or content. I struggled to keep track of the characters throughout a good portion of the book, recurringly asking myself, "Why am I reading about this character/these characters right now?" I couldn't weave together the significance of each family (or group, as in the elderly at the old folks community), and I felt a bit frustrated for awhile.

I'm glad I hung in there because the pace really picks up and suddenly everything begins falling into place. I didn't know I was going to be reading about the desaparacedos. I didn't know it was a political suspense story as well as a love story. And it was an extremely satisfying turn for the novel to take.

It's a sophisticated, breath-taking read. I'm looking forward to reading more of Allende's work after this book. It's been awhile since I read Island Beneath the Sea--I remember I liked it very much, but this one had an emotional impact that has been far-reaching for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Of Love and Shadows.