Christa Seeley's Reviews > Hero

Hero by Perry Moore

Jul 08, 12

bookshelves: coming-of-age, genre-superhero, lgbtq, own
Read in June, 2012

Originally posted at Hooked on Books

Before Northstar proposed to his boyfriend and before DC Comics brought us a gay Green Lantern, there was Thom Creed. Back in 2007, Perry Moore realized there was a significant lack of gay characters in the superhero genre. And I for one am so glad he did. I have a special weakness for the superhero genre. There's just something so appealing to all these regular people, doning masks and costumes and becoming extraordinary. I also think this is the perfect genre to explore issues that face GLBTQ teens.

Thom Creed is an amazing protagonist. I really liked that this book was told in the first person, because we, as readers, really got to experience the inner turmoil going on in his head. There were so mnay obstacles for this boy to face - his father's public shunning, his new found powers, his struggling to be accepted as part of a team. And on top of all of that he's struggling with his sexual identity in a town that may be ok with superheroes, but not with boys who like boys. I found Thom really easy to relate to and I really enjoyed watching him grow as a character.

Too be fair this book is a little pulpy and over the top but that's part of what made it fun. If you think about it this is pretty typical of the superhero genre and I'm glad Perry Moore didn't break from that convention. I think had he tried to make this book more serious or realistic, it would have seemed forced. Instead you could sit back and enjoy the story, and not feel overwhelmed by the message it was trying to get across.

Finally, I really enjoyed how much emphasis Hero put on the Father-son relationship. I don't think enough YA books consider the parents, much less spend so much time dealing with how the relationship changes and adapts when you're young. The relationship between Hal and Thom in Hero was realistic, not overly simplistic and faced real challenges. Super powers aside I think a lot of kids, who are afraid of coming out to their parents can related to what Thom and Hal are going through.

A fun and unique novel, which adds an extra needed something to the superhero genre.

Final recommendation: A fun read with some really strong and important mesages. Recommended for teens and adults alike.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hero.

06/28/2012 page 246
57.0% "Love all the different superhero names!"