Jadaloves's Reviews > The Wedding

The Wedding by Julie Garwood

Nov 27, 11

Read in November, 2011

Julie Garwood has a way of making fall in love with historical romance all over again. The Wedding was an enchanting tale of how indifference can sometimes turn into intrigue, and how the most cold and guarded person can be warmed by love. As the last act of revenge against his sworn enemy, Connor takes the bride intended for MacNare and weds her himself. Not knowing what he was in for, Connor finds his new wife entertaining at best, and a loveable nuisance at worst.

I really loved the story of Brenna and Connor. They have an unusual, albeit charming, back story that connects them when Brenna was just a child and Connor a teenager. But the book opens with the story of a very young Connor at his father’s deathbed, promising his father to carry the hate for their enemies in his heart and to one day take revenge on the one’s who were responsible for his father’s death. I was hooked from the first word and couldn’t put the book down.

I really took a liking to Brenna. Though she was sometimes dizzy and forgetful, she was quite adorable and strong-willed. She was truly clever, and being wed to Connor she had to be, and she was very determined. Whenever Brenna got an idea in her head she did everything in her power to see it through. She has the patience of Job dealing with Connor, and a very easy-going, kind way about her.

Connor was a hard ass. But honestly, there was this softness lingering just under the surface throughout the whole book. As a highland warrior, Connor was brought up completely different than Brenna and showing affection and understanding is considered weak. Connor battles his need to comfort and love Brenna because of his upbringing. Connor is the true alpha male. Phenomenal leadership abilities, strong, and unyielding, except in Brenna’s case.

There were many misunderstandings between the two and I found myself wanting to throttle one or the other because they just wouldn’t communicate with each other. But overall I found the two together charming and amusing. Julie Garwood delivers again, and if you are a fan of historical romance, definitely give this one a try.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wedding.