Jennifer's Reviews > Griftopia: Bubble Machines, Vampire Squids, and the Long Con That Is Breaking America

Griftopia by Matt Taibbi

Nov 27, 11

bookshelves: 2010-reads
Read in November, 2010

The word "polemic" comes to mind. Taibbi's Griftopia kicks off to a blistering start, and pretty much maintains that battery-acid tone throughout. The opening essays imply more of an anti-Republican stance than is actually the case - by the end it's clear that Taibbi is pissed at everyone just about equally, but most on the right wing could be forgiven for not managing to make it through the author's vituperation to the bits where he starts in on Obama and the Democrats. Hell, I had a hard time making it, and I'm the theoretical core audience for this treatise. Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but I tend to think that you catch more flies with honey - or at least with a reasoned argument complete with citations rather than off-the-cuff references only to anonymous sources. Griftopia is well-written and full of fascinating behind-the-scenes looks into the financial crisis, but at its heart it's a rant (the kind where the speaker is spitting whilst speaking), which hamstrings the author's ability to bring his point home.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Griftopia.