Herlock's Reviews > The Alloy of Law

The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson

Dec 11, 11

Read from November 27 to December 07, 2011

Even though the underlying mythology is an extension of the original trilogy, with additional metal powers (you will know what that means if you have read the Mistborn trilogy), and the characters from the Mistborn trilogy revered as gods or treated as devils. But most of this book can still be read as a standalone novel, as a Western about a "magical" sheriff, his wisecracking deputy and a powerful gunslinger adversary.

Waiting for the next book, and I really hope it gets here quickly, what with Wheel of Time and Stormlight Archive competing for Sanderson's time.

A few notes for anyone reading this:

- Although the two metallic powers are well explained, and new metals and alloys introduced in this book, to get the full background of mythology involved, a reading of Mistborn trilogy will be very useful.
(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Alloy of Law.

11/27/2011 page 0
0.0% "Loved the original Mistborn trilogy, and the twists Sanderson put in it. Can't wait to start reading this."
12/05/2011 page 273
85.0% "If we have Epic Fantasy and Urban Fantasy, can we call this Western Fantasy? I mean, this has a gruff and honest Lawman, his wisecracking Sidekick, a Damsel in Distress and a Worthy Adversary. Not to mention, guns and train robberies. (A spoiler alert for those who haven't read Mistborn trilogy:) Given how Sanderson can teach GRRM how to play with his characters, I am afraid to read ahead now."