Julie Paugh's Reviews > Legends of the Fall

Legends of the Fall by Jim Harrison

Dec 22, 11

bookshelves: general
Read from November 27 to December 21, 2011

I don't really have a hard and fast opinion on this one. It was just kinda ENHHHH. The book is, in fact, a collection of three short stories all of which are fairly good. For me, there was a definate period of adaptation needed to adjust to the mechanics of Harrison's prose. He seems to dislike commas a great deal and many of his sentences are just clumsy word trains and I had to re-read many sentences just to grasp his meaning. In general, I found the stories to be heavy on meaning and light on plot and none of the three really resonated with me. Of the three stories, I disliked the title story the most as I found it tedious. There were many passages I found ridiculously boring and they did little to balance out the remaining passages which were just an average amount of boring. I think this is the type of book that will appeal to certain types of micro-analyzing readers. I am not such a reader. I like 'thought-provoking' but I hate to feel I must dig so deeply into a story to try and justify to myself why I spent the time reading it. I guess the bottom line is this, it was decent, well written but the enjoyment factor was nil.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Legends of the Fall.