Callista 's Reviews > Linger

Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

Jul 03, 12

bookshelves: nonurban-contemp-fantasy, four-star-novels, werecreatures, romantic
Read from June 26 to July 02, 2012

This one definitely lives up to the promise of the first. It's a page-turner for sure, emotionally gripping. The author employs some clever, poetic phrasing, descriptions and ways of looking at things that never would've occurred to me. There are plenty of teenage angst and frustration, but somehow the emotions don't come off as melodramatic.
This time, it was Grace's predicament that was worse than Sam's, although he did plenty of suffering, too. Her self-absorbed parents finally got a clue; but while I'm usually against the kind of teenage rebellion Grace does, her parents are so annoying, so hypocritical, so too-little-too-late that I really disliked them and couldn't really blame Grace for doing what she did.
Sam was still too 'emo' at times for my taste; but he let some of his less-nice qualities show when dealing with Cole and reacting to Grace's parents, and it was nice to see some backbone. The way the author depicts the scars of his emotional and physical trauma is vivid.
Isabel was snarky and crafty as usual and more damaged than ever. Rachel's dialogue is absolutely hilarious. It's nice to see a YA PRN in which a girl has actual friends. Isabel started out as more of a frenemy, but the further into the messy situation everyone gets, the more of an actual friend she becomes.
Cole was an interesting new development. That situation didn't go how I figured it would at all. He's already developing a growth arc. Additionally, with him, the author showed she could write a male character with more edge. I did wonder if Cole was set up as a deliberate contrast to Sam--they're both musical but one is emotionally deadened while the other is sensitive, one is a scoundrel and the other is a gentleman--or if there will be something more subtle going on in the third book.
My expectations for volume three are high.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Linger.