Beverly's Reviews > Don't Kill the Birthday Girl: Tales from an Allergic Life

Don't Kill the Birthday Girl by Sandra Beasley

Dec 04, 11

Read from November 30 to December 04, 2011

Devoured this book, such a quick read! Don't have the same allergies as the author but many foods send me racing to the Benadryl and praying I don't have to use the EpiPen. Glad to know my 24hr limit of Benadryl is 12(300mg). I've come close to the limit but not exceeded yet.

While reading this book I could be overheard, laughing (some funny anecdotes), and enthusiastically agreeing "I KNEW it!" or "YES!" when reading a particular scientific fact or Sandra reaction. Felt validation for having some suspicions about my allergic reactions and no longer feel paranoid when in restaurants and get a bad vibe about a plate served to me. Recommend this book to anyone who has allergies and their family members. PLUS Restaurant owners and managers should read it too!! Many servers/food preparers don't realize the potentially deadly results of cross-contamination.
Three cheers for Ming Tsai!!! (read the book and you'll know what I'm referencing).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Kill the Birthday Girl.

11/30/2011 page 99
41.0% "Devouring this book, had to stop for sleep (reluctantly). Don't feel as alone in the world with my allergies now. Some days you feel like you are alllergic to air. This book helps."
show 1 hidden update…