Rebekkila's Reviews > The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio: How My Mother Raised 10 Kids on 25 Words or Less

The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio by Terry Ryan

Jan 08, 12

bookshelves: bookcrossing, non-fiction, made-into-a-movie
Recommended for: those who love ad jingles.
Read from January 04 to 07, 2012

What a great story. The book is the true story of a mother of ten who helps support her family by entering contests. Whenever she heard of a company that was holding a contest to come up with a jingle for their product Evelyn would enter it. A lot of the products I haven't heard of, I was born a decade or two after these products were in their heyday. The majority of the contests paid between $1-$25 if they used your slogan. I did the math and a dollar then was equal to seven of today's dollars. Her rhymes were clever. I am not sure they would fly today, she used word a lot of people today wouldn't use such as ennui. Her husband was an alcoholic who drank a big portion of his pay per week, so Evelyn's contest winnings bailed the family out several times.
The book is really sweet, it was written by the sixth oldest child and her love for her mother really comes through. There are cute anecdotes about her siblings sprinkled throughout. I would highly recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio.