Alanna (The Flashlight Reader)'s Reviews > Kitt Pirate: Snaggletooth's Treasure

Kitt Pirate by Ben Oliver

Nov 27, 11

bookshelves: 2011, middle-grades, review-requests
Read in November, 2011

I’ve been on a pirate reading kick lately. This book is geared toward the younger readers. There are plenty of illustrations to help the readers’ active imaginations. I enjoyed the story a good deal. As I read, I had to remind myself that this is meant for middle grade readers. With only 125 pages, it is a little hard to get a great deal of character development, but there was plenty of action.

The story itself is told from the first person point of view (of the ship’s captain). The pirates aren’t your typical pirates either. There is no pillaging and plundering in this book. In fact, Captain Kitt and his crew are more like philanthropists. They seek out treasure in order to help the less fortunate. It’s like Robin Hood on the high seas! The villains in the book aren’t other pirates, but savage beasts of the jungle. There was a chapter full of heart pumping action involving a gigantic spider. Thankfully, it was a quick chapter. I don’t do spiders. There was also an interesting take on riddles and the guardian of Snaggletooth’s treasure.

Overall, this was a quick and enjoyable read. Young boys between the ages of 8-11 would enjoy this book. It would also be a great read aloud for younger kids. It’s clean and full of action. Not to mention that the pirates are good hearted and clean mouthed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kitt Pirate.