colleen the fabulous fabulaphile's Reviews > Fairest of All: A Tale of the Wicked Queen

Fairest of All by Serena Valentino

1209800
Feb 05, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: fractured-fairytale
Read on February 05, 2012 — I own a copy

An interesting telling of the Snow White story from the Queen's perspective. Shows her as a loving and lovely young woman and her descent into jealousy, vanity and madness. A decent story - but I expected a bit more depth, I suppose.

I'm a bit torn on the language used. It was very simplistic, like a child's storybook. At first it bothered me, but then I decided it sort of fit the style of the story. I'm also not entirely thrilled with the obsession with beauty - it basically amounts to the notion that you're nothing if you're not beautiful. Of course, beauty and obsession with it plays a big role in the original story, so you can't really get away from that.

I suppose, though, it goes back to the aforementioned lack of depth. I prefer retellings that put different spins on things, but there was none of that here. I guess, though, it's not really a retelling as much as a PoV shift.

All in all it's not bad for what it is. As I said, though, I was just wanting something a bit more.

ETA: There was an interesting little twist at the end which left the field open for what might happen down the road.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fairest of All.