Katya's Reviews > Clockwork Angel

Nov 30, 11

it was ok
bookshelves: 2011, oh-come-on, teen-lit, the-ya-project
Read from November 27 to 30, 2011

Let me put this out front: I have not read Cassandra Clare's fanfiction. Me and Harry Potter parted ways a long time ago (although we did meet for a quick romp this summer, which left us both unsatisfied), and so I can't really tell how much of her old stuff is recycled into her books.

What I can say is that as far as plots go, this book isn't half bad. It moves fast, and there were some really nice characters. Henry is my favourite, with Jessie close second, and even Lightwood was entertaining in his pretentious, prissy way. All in all, it could have been a pretty good book...

Could have, if it weren't for Will.

description

No, not that Will.

description

Oh, you wish.

No, I'm talking about William Herondale, the designated love interest and the original carrier of the 'smartass' gene, also seen in his descendants in The Mortal Instruments. (also, Moral Instruments? Pretty close to Mortal Engines. Except for the fact that Clary can only dream of being like Hester.)

The 'smartass' gene, for those of you who don't know, is a reoccurring phenomenon in YA literature, which leads me to suspect that a lot of love interests are related nowadays (or inspired from each other). Sadly, this particular infliction doesn't only make the carriers generate bad punch lines, it also turns them into assholes.

The good news is that the farther down it goes, the gene seems to lose its power. Because in comparison to Will, Jace Wayland is practically a cherub.

I mean, yes, he was a jerk to Clary. And sure, he can be an asshole. But at least Jace had some explanation for being who he was. I mean, having your pet killed by your father, in front of your own eyes, when you were ten... that's pretty scarring. And hey, he didn't ask Clary to become his whore (not much of a defence, but still!).

Will, on the other hand, is 100% pure jerk, with just the right pinch of self-hatred to make him adoring to the moms, and a penchant for long, lonely walks in the night. That's a pretty lethal combination in a love interest, if you ask me.

And don't tell me Tessa won't end up with that guy. I mean, sure, there is Jem, but he's nice and caring and supportive, so obviously he's either going to bite it or end up with Sophie. In YA, the asshole always gets the girl.

Which is pretty fucked up, don't you think? Not just that this same old stereotype of the bad boy being reformed by love exists (which is as unrealistic as curing yourself from alcoholism in an hour, see Evermore for reference), but the fact that after all the discussions, all the talks, all the reviews that were generated since Twilight first came out, authors insist on pushing it. At this point, having the nice guy get the girl would be revolutionary.

And I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
16 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwork Angel.

11/27/2011 page 1
0.0% "Okay, so I checked this out of the library because I needed some snarkbait, stat. Not sure if I want this to be my 200th book this year, but..."
11/27/2011 page 2
0.0% "On another note, "Infernal Devices"? As in, Philip Reeve's "Infernal Devices"? Plagiarizing Potter is one thing, but the title of my fav steampunk series? *fangirl rage*" 4 comments
11/27/2011 page 40
8.0% " The handsome young fellow who's trying to rescue you from a hideous fate is never wrong. Not even if he says the sky is purple and made of hedgehogs. An ass and a source of bad lines. I can see it runs in the family." 14 comments
11/28/2011 page 96
20.0% " Under other circumstances, she might have asked if Will and Sophie had had a falling out, but one didn't fall out with servants. Our heroine. I'm not surprised this copy is a little torn around the edges."
show 1 hidden update…

Comments (showing 1-9)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 9: by AH (new) - added it

AH Funny, I thought about the connection to Philip Reeve's series too when I saw the title. They even had the same bad guy's name too (Valentine). Great review.

Angela Even closer than the Mortal Instruments, the third book in that series by Philip Reeve is actually called Infernal Devices, which is the name of this series (The Infernal Devices). There are many other books with that title, but...?

And:

"Which is pretty fucked up, don't you think? Not just that this same old stereotype of the bad boy being reformed by love exists...but the fact that after all the discussions, all the talks, all the reviews that were generated since Twilight first came out, authors insist on pushing it. At this point, having the nice guy get the girl would be revolutionary."

Sadly, I don't think this trope is going to go away any time soon. It's just too appealing to too many people to believe that they could have the power and allure to turn the handsome, arrogant jerk into the loving and brooding-only-for-me lover. I find it unappealing, but it doesn't look like it's moving away from that. *sigh*

message 7: by Fiona (new)

Fiona In Hunger Games, the nice guy gets the girl. Just fyi.

Katya The Hunger Games is in a league of his own. Although, in Clockwork Prince, the nice guy gets her too.

message 5: by Angela (last edited Jan 17, 2012 01:15PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Angela @Katya: Argggh, that was such a spoiler.

Katya It is?

Sorry.

Cookie?

message 3: by Angela (last edited Jan 17, 2012 01:16PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Angela Well, it was for me, because I'm still waiting for my public library to finally get in its copy (which is taking forever). I have been intentionally staying away from reviews of the second book until then.

And yes, a cookie will suffice. Oatmeal chocolate chip, if you have them. :)

Katya *gives cookie*

Angela *snarfs it down greedily in response*