Valerie LeComte's Reviews > Cutting for Stone

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

Nov 27, 11

bookshelves: fiction

Cutting for Stone (Abraham Verghese)
- Highlight on Page 16 | Loc. 245-48 | Added on Wednesday, November 23, 2011, 08:42 AM

WE COME UNBIDDEN into this life, and if we are lucky we find a purpose beyond starvation, misery, and early death which, lest we forget, is the common lot. I grew up and I found my purpose and it was to become a physician. My intent wasn’t to save the world as much as to heal myself. Few doctors will admit this, certainly not young ones, but subconsciously, in entering the profession, we must believe that ministering to others will heal our woundedness. And it can. But it can also deepen the wound.
Cutting for Stone (Abraham Verghese)
- Highlight on Page 19 | Loc. 280-81 | Added on Wednesday, November 23, 2011, 08:45 AM

Life, too, is like that. You live it forward, but understand it backward. It is only when you stop and look to the rear that you see the corpse caught under your wheel.
Cutting for Stone (Abraham Verghese)
- Highlight on Page 62 | Loc. 940 | Added on Thursday, November 24, 2011, 02:19 AM

The past recedes from a traveler, she thought.
Cutting for Stone (Abraham Verghese)
- Highlight on Page 63 | Loc. 965-67 | Added on Thursday, November 24, 2011, 12:58 PM

That was her trouble then—she dreamed of a greater kind of love than the kind displayed in the library. But she was also filled with a nameless ambition that had nothing to do with love. What exactly did she want? It was an ambition that wouldn’t let her compete for or seek the same things others sought.
Cutting for Stone (Abraham Verghese)
- Highlight on Page 65 | Loc. 988-89 | Added on Thursday, November 24, 2011, 01:00 PM

In the last few years she’d come close to defining the nameless ambition that had pushed her this far: to avoid the sheep life at all costs.
Cutting for Stone (Abraham Verghese)
- Highlight on Page 70 | Loc. 1062-63 | Added on Thursday, November 24, 2011, 01:09 PM

As she bent over the child she realized that the tragedy of death had to do entirely with what was left unfulfilled. She was ashamed that such a simple insight should have eluded her all these years. Make something beautiful of your life.
Cutting for Stone (Abraham Verghese)
- Highlight on Page 70 | Loc. 1064-66 | Added on Thursday, November 24, 2011, 01:10 PM

she, deliverer of countless babies, she who’d rejected the kind of marriage her parents wanted for her, she who felt there were too many children in the world and felt no pressure to add to that number, understood for the first time that having a child was about cheating death. Children were the foot wedged in the closing door,
Cutting for Stone (Abraham Verghese)
- Highlight on Page 82 | Loc. 1254-55 | Added on Thursday, November 24, 2011, 01:32 PM

Perhaps she should have been grateful to him, happy to be alive, but in the hierarchy of her emotions, anger was always trumps.
Cutting for Stone (Abraham Verghese)
- Highlight on Page 89 | Loc. 1360-61 | Added on Thursday, November 24, 2011, 04:25 PM

“A man is only as rich as the number of children he fathers. After all, what else do we leave behind in this world, Doctor?”
Cutting for Stone (Abraham Verghese)
- Highlight on Page 131 | Loc. 2007-8 | Added on Thursday, November 24, 2011, 06:39 PM

When you win, you often lose, that’s just a fact. There’s no currency to straighten a warped spirit, or open a closed heart, a selfish heart—she
Cutting for Stone (Abraham Verghese)
- Highlight on Page 139 | Loc. 2119-20 | Added on Thursday, November 24, 2011, 07:14 PM

Ignorance was just as dynamic as knowledge, and it grew in the same proportion. Still, each generation of physicians imagined that ignorance was the special provenance of their elders.
Cutting for Stone (Abraham Verghese)
- Highlight on Page 150 | Loc. 2290 | Added on Thursday, November 24, 2011, 07:35 PM

The language of love was the same as the language of medicine.
Cutting for Stone (Abraham Verghese)
- Highlight on Page 161 | Loc. 2454-55 | Added on Thursday, November 24, 2011, 07:52 PM

“Doubt is a first cousin to faith, Ghosh. To have faith, you have to suspend your disbelief.
Cutting for Stone (Abraham Verghese)
- Highlight on Page 183 | Loc. 2792-93 | Added on Friday, November 25, 2011, 01:55 AM

“God will judge us, Mr. Harris, by”—her voice broke as she thought of Sister Mary Joseph Praise—“by what we did to relieve the suffering of our fellow human beings. I don’t think God cares what doctrine we embrace.”
Cutting for Stone (Abraham Verghese)
- Highlight on Page 197 | Loc. 3007 | Added on Friday, November 25, 2011, 12:39 PM

“A rich man’s faults are covered with money, but a surgeon’s faults are covered with earth.”
Cutting for Stone (Abraham Verghese)
- Highlight on Page 261 | Loc. 4002-5 | Added on Saturday, November 26, 2011, 02:32 AM

He invited me to a world that wasn’t secret, but it was well hidden. You needed a guide. You had to know what to look for, but also how to look. You had to exert yourself to see this world. But if you did, if you had that kind of curiosity, if you had an innate interest in the welfare of your fellow human beings, and if you went through that door, a strange thing happened: you left your petty troubles on the threshold. It could be addictive.
Cutting for Stone (Abraham Verghese)
- Highlight on Page 332 | Loc. 5083-86 | Added on Saturday, November 26, 2011, 03:19 PM

Ghosh sighed. “I hope one day you see this as clearly as I did in Kerchele. The key to your happiness is to own your slippers, own who you are, own how you look, own your family, own the talents you have, and own the ones you don’t. If you keep saying your slippers aren’t yours, then you’ll die searching, you’ll die bitter, always feeling you were promised more. Not only our actions, but also our omissions, become our destiny.”
Cutting for Stone (Abraham Verghese)
- Highlight on Page 438 | Loc. 6714-17 | Added on Sunday, November 27, 2011, 11:07 AM

The observer, that old record keeper, the chronicler of events, made his appearance in that taxi. The hands of my clock turned elastic while I imprinted these feelings in memory. You must remember this. It was all I had, all I’ve ever had, the only currency, the only proof that I was alive. Memory. I
Cutting for Stone (Abraham Verghese)
- Highlight on Page 441 | Loc. 6755-57 | Added on Sunday, November 27, 2011, 11:14 AM

Being the firstborn gives you great patience. But you reach a point where after trying and trying you say, Patience be damned. Let them suffer their distorted worldview. Your job is to preserve yourself, not to descend into their hole. It’s a relief when you arrive at this place, the point of absurdity, because then you are free, you know you owe them nothing.
Cutting for Stone (Abraham Verghese)
- Highlight on Page 459 | Loc. 7024-26 | Added on Sunday, November 27, 2011, 11:33 AM

In America, my initial impression was that death or the possibility of it always seemed to come as a surprise, as if we took it for granted that we were immortal, and that death was just an option.
Cutting for Stone (Abraham Verghese)
- Highlight on Page 459 | Loc. 7027-28 | Added on Sunday, November 27, 2011, 11:33 AM

I don’t think you can be a physician and not see yourself reflected in your patient’s illness.
Cutting for Stone (Abraham Verghese)
- Highlight on Page 617 | Loc. 9447 | Added on Sunday, November 27, 2011, 07:32 PM

The world turns on our every action, and our every omission, whether we know it or not.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cutting for Stone.