Laini's Reviews > Rise of the Horde

Rise of the Horde by Christie Golden

Jan 25, 12

bookshelves: adventure, action, fantasy, fiction, world-of-warcraft
Read from November 27 to 30, 2011

This book does exactly what it says on the tin, and more. Detailing the beginnings of the Horde via the Orcs in Outland and also chronicling the flight of the Draenai people. I thoroughlyenjoyed this book.

The book is mainly the history of the Orcs, with brief interludes from Thrall himself, talking about his ancestors. It begins with the Draenai, and explains how the influence of the Burning Legion, caused some draenai to rebel against the new magics and flee their world, after being tracked countless times by Kil'jaedan and his forces, they eventually find a new home, living peacefully alongside the Orcs, in Outland/Draenor. However Kil'Jaedan hasn't given up and decides to use the Orcs to his advantage. Secretly manipulating the Orcs through one of the Tribes leaders, they convince the Orcs that the Draenai are dangerous and must be killed.

I found it very interesting to read about this period in World of Warcraft history, as I knew a certain amount about Orc history but not much about the Draenai. I especially liked the spin Christie Golden put on the discovery of Warlocks by the Orcs, and the way they took over from the nature and spirit loving Shaman. Warlocks were shown to be purely evil, and the descriptions of the summoning of the various minions and the spells they use to cause pure pain to their victims was chilling and seemed so alien, which had me reading about them in total disgust, and this from someone who plays a warlock!

I love Christie Golden's writing in general and also love learning more about the lore of Warcraft, so will definitely be continuing. Despite the name of the book, I would recommend it to both Horde and Alliance players as it is split equally between Draenai and Orcs. And for those of you who don't play the game but love a good story, this is as good as any.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rise of the Horde.