Becky Ginther's Reviews > Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane

Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane by Suzanne Collins

Nov 27, 11

bookshelves: grades-5-7, young-adult, fantasy
Read in November, 2011

This follow-up to Gregor the Overlander certainly doesn't disappoint. The layout and style of the book is very similar to the first one, as Gregor and his younger sister Boots once again find themselves in the Underland, and there is yet another prophecy that they have to deal with. Some of the excitement and thrill is lost in this one, but it still provides a very entertaining read.

While the plot is somewhat more predictable in this one than in the first one, Collins still manages to tie in a few surprises. I actually found the ending to be the most exciting part of the book, when they return to Regalia after the quest is over. This is when there was the most suspense and questions about what will happen. In fact, there is so much suspense that this book leaves off with many questions unanswered, which will no doubt be covered in the third book. It's a little frustrating to be left with questions at the end of a book and a lot of loose ends are not tied up, but this is pretty typical of a series like this.

We also meet a variety of new characters. Twitchtip is probably the strongest here, as she is another rat that for the time being is getting along with the humans. Since the rats were almost all portrayed as completely evil in the last book (with the exception of Ripred), getting another look at one in a different light is fascinating. We also meet Henry, a cousin of Luxa, and a few extremely annoying fireflies.

Gregor's character is also expanded a bit more, which was very necessary to the story. He had previously been a somewhat flat, though good hero, but we learn a few more things about him in this book that make him more interesting. Though in some ways these traits that we see almost make him too good to be true, hopefully the third book shows some of his flaws as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane.