Jenn's Reviews > Sacred Games

Sacred Games by Vikram Chandra

Feb 17, 12

bookshelves: onmyshelf, 2012books
Read in February, 2012

I finally finished! It took me about two years off and on to get through this 900 page crime drama set in India but I was determined to do it. I actually really enjoyed the story but it was pretty serious and rather violent and there was a lot of Indian slang thrown in there so it just took a lot of work!

It is really a story within a story. It begins when a famous Indian mobster kills himself in front of a police detective. From there story splits. Every other chapter we learn about how the mobster came to be who he was and the alternate chapters follow the detective in a hunt to save India from a terrorist event alluded to by the mobster in the moments before he died.

The book also contains short stories between some of the chapters that are somewhat loosely tied to the characters in the book.

Overall, I enjoyed the story and the writing if it was sometimes tedious and long winded. I have always been fascinated by Indian culture and this book helped me to understand how much political and religious turmoil exists in that country. It was a little difficult to follow because I'm not very familiar with all of the conflict. I'm curious to learn a little more about it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sacred Games.

01/23/2011 page 389
42.0% "I' ve been working on this monster for a couple of years. I'm determined to finish it NOW! Only about 500-ish pages to go!"