Jessica (My Not So Vacant Shelf)'s Reviews > Half-Blood

Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Nov 04, 2012

Read from October 24 to 26, 2012

Oh my gods. This was definitely an interesting take on the Greek gods and their children. Extremely interesting. I loved the hierarchy, and how, like the ones in our lives, doesn’t really make any sense. The characters are awesome. Its rare that we come across a blatant bad girl and nice guy. Granted, there is a bad boy as well, but the man I’m talking about, the one that I am rooting for, is a nice guy. The Superman type. *Sigh. But Alex might just be his Lois Lane…expect with a little more bite and bark. On her first day back at school she rips a girls hair out. The chick was a witch with a capital B, but still…that takes cojones when you’re on the verge of being expelled and put into servitude. It’s nice and refreshing to have the opposite of what I’ve been reading for quite some time.
There were moments that were a little predictable, but when they happened I was still freaking out, and there were many moments that made me smile, and laugh out loud. Now, I was not as taken with Aiden from the beginning as many other people were. With Seth I was. He was made out to be like a God even before you met him, so when we were introduced and he had some crude humour to go along with those awesome powers and bad boy attitude I felt my heart move in my chest. But, with Aiden it took a while. He didn’t seem that interested at first. Instead he seemed a little emotionless and I couldn’t see him endgame with Alex. It wasn’t until about halfway through the novel that my heart moved for him. A certain…locker room moment. If you’ve read it you know what I’m talking about. In fact, my heart tried to jump out of my chest at that moment. And now I love him. *Sigh
Although the novel took some time to really get moving it had one hell of an opening, middle, and end. There was a long period when there wasn’t any action and instead we were getting to know all the characters, but when the action came I was riveted and grabbing onto the book so tightly that I think I left indents on the covers. It was never boring and always very interesting with the info that it provided in those less action filled moments. But I guess it was the characters. She never fully reveals everyone’s intent. Not even Alex. So I was left questioning everyone. What is Seth’s endgame? What about Aiden? What about her Uncle? Or, her Stepfather? God, you’ve got to love a series that makes you question everything and want more. Mind-boggling I tell you!
Good:
Alex—Refreshing from the usual good girls that we come across. Finally we have one that is will to fight and more than happy to pick a fight
Aiden—Can truly be seen in my mind as the Superman type. No friggin wonder everyone loves him.
Seth—You bring promise of shenanigans with you in the next novels.
Caleb—You are a very good friend
Bad:
Aiden—he seemed very distant at first and I just thought this romance was not going to work. Luckily he made up for it afterwards.
There were a couple of characters that were filled with Alex settling back into her life and generally that makes my mind wonder, but the information that is provided during those chapters is important stuff and in the end it all makes up for it.
Overall (Writing style, story line, and general):
Overall the writing style of this very well done. Like, Obsidian and Onyx, I found the humor to be well timed, the characters to be independent and different, and I found the story to be a new and refreshing take on something that people have written about many times, making this a very inviting read. Jennifer L. Armentrout never seems to provide anything less than an awesome book filled with awesome characters that promises to be a great series. This is definitely one that I plan on continuing.

View more of my review and others at my blog: www.mynotsovacantshelf.blogspot.com
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half-Blood.

Quotes Jessica Liked

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“So? What are you going to do about it? Throw your mashed potatoes at me? I'm consumed by terror.”
tags: seth

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Are you lost, Lea? This isn't where they're handing out the free pregnancy tests.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Did you think he was just some lazy pure-blood who needed protection?” His voice dripped sarcasm.
“Well he looks like one! How was I supposed to know he was secretly Rambo in Dockers?”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“There’s nothing like a bunch of catty teenagers who could either kick your ass halfway across the country or set you on fire with a mere thought. That alone changed who people picked fights with or became friends with. And at the end of the day, it was always good to have a firestarter in your back pocket.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Jeez, how old are you?” I total y knew how old he was, but I wanted to pick.

Aiden cracked his neck. “I turn twenty-one in October.”
“Huh.” I shook the bottle. “So have you always been so…
mature?”
His brows furrowed. “Mature?”
“Yeah, you sound like a dad.” I deepened my voice and tried to look stern. “‘Don’t look at me that way’ or else.”
Aiden blinked slowly. “I don’t sound like that and I didn’t say ‘or else.’”
“But if you had, what would the ‘or else’ be?” I hid my grin with the bottle.”

10/24/2012 page 88
31.0% "Alex just read the text about Appollyns. Ideas are springing in my mind. This book just got super cool." 1 comment
10/25/2012 page 153
54.0% "Oh dear lord. I would sexually assault him too."
10/26/2012 page 207
73.0% "I knew it! I knew it! I knew it! I'm still freaking out even though I knew it!"

Nymeria Are you reading this for the first time?

Jessica  (My Not So Vacant Shelf) Nymeria wrote: "Are you reading this for the first time?" I am!

Nymeria Prepare your-self to a lot of awesomeness!! *____*

Jessica  (My Not So Vacant Shelf) Nymeria wrote: "Prepare your-self to a lot of awesomeness!! *____*"

Now, I am downright excited lol

Monisha Yup, you should be totally. Mind blowing awesomeness. And the next series is downright freaking fantabulous. lolz.