Alan's Reviews > Seeking Sicily: A Cultural Journey Through Myth and Reality in the Heart of the Mediterranean

Seeking Sicily by John Keahey

Nov 27, 11

bookshelves: travel, non-fiction
Read in November, 2011

I read this book as I set out on a 10 day journey around the island of Sicily. Although I am sure I would have enjoyed my trip whether I had read this or not, I can say with certainty that my trip was significantly enhanced by this book. The author does so much more than re-hash the famous sites or perpetuate Sicilian stereotypes - he gets behind the scenes and gives insight into the history and culture of the place. It really brought the island to life in ways that a typical travel narrative couldn't even approach. Sicily has such a complex history and evolution that I don't think one can visit it too many times or read too much about it. There's so much to learn.

He also incorporates Sicilian literature into his narrative and having recently read "The Leopard", it was great to read his interpretation of how this great novel fits into the culture and history of the island. He also brings to light some of the less documented aspects of Sicilian history such as the tragedy of the sulfur mining industry. I would strongly recommend this book to anyone planning on visiting Sicily or wanting to examine the unique history (Greek, Roman, Arab, Norman, etc.) of a fascinating and beautiful place. Great book!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seeking Sicily.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marybeth (new)

Marybeth Alan, I'm so glad you enjoyed this book and that it enhanced your trip! I've passed along your comments to my friend Steven Robert McCurdy, who is good friends with the author and traveled with him to Sicily to photograph and film the author's experiences. Wow! So good to know! :-) Can't wait to see your pictures! Mb.