Kelly Hart's Reviews > Toxic

Toxic by Jus Accardo

Oct 03, 12

Read from September 03 to 08, 2012

Last year, when I read TOUCH, the first book in the Denazen series, it left me anxious for more. This year, now that I’ve read TOXIC, I feel the exact same way and I gotta say, the novel definitely did not disappoint.

It seems with this series the books just keep getting better and better and harder and harder to put down.

For me, TOXIC was much darker than TOUCH, and it showed us just how real the Denazen threat is to Dez, Kale, and her group of Sixes with all the attacks, Dez’s poisoning, and the threat of a traitor in her group. Not to mention the fact her 18th birthday is looming in the distance and she knows what happens to Supremacy kids when they turn eighteen. They go crazy.

That said, it still was full of comedic moments – which gave balance to the dark -- like when Dez and Kiernan, using Kiernan’s invisibility power, spied on Kale and Jade in the ice cream shop. I won’t go into detail about the scene, but I will say hilarity ensued when someone decided to sit in the booth they were sitting in. It got even funnier later on in the ice cream shop’s bathroom.

And that’s just a couple scenes; there were many, many more that were just as funny, keeping the book balanced and keeping it easy to read, despite all the impending doom and despair.

Now, I have to admit, as much as I loved this book and love Dez, there were moments I wished I could reach into the book, grab Dez and shake her. I wanted to yell at her and call her an idiot. This was mostly because she decided to keep her poisoning a secret from everyone around her.

What the hell was she thinking?

Anyway, though, that’s just Dez. She’s strong, stubborn, and a total spit-fire and although that may lead her to stupid decisions, it often allows her a lot of room to grow – which I think she did in this book.

Overall, I loved TOXIC and gave it five out of five stars …
And I’m officially counting down the days till the next installment. Really, I’m hoping it arrives early in my inbox … hint … hint … wink … wink … Entangled Publishing.

Disclaimer: I was provided an electronic galley of this book by the publisher and everything I have said is of my own honest opinion. I have not been paid to review this book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Toxic.