Allison's Reviews > The Collected Stories of Jean Stafford

The Collected Stories of Jean Stafford by Jean Stafford

Apr 22, 12

Read in April, 2012 — I own a copy

She is one of the finest short story writers ever. It's difficult to fathom that I've never heard of her before (it was Saul Bellow's letters that introduced me to her--beleaguered wife of Robert Lowell). This probably should be a 5 star book but there were enough stories that while beautifully written I still couldn't connect with....something a little magic realist about some of them (which I just don't like). My favorites were the ones written from the point of view of a child. She can be hilarious. And she can be equally dark and wildly cynical. A winning combo-platter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Collected Stories of Jean Stafford.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alison (new) - added it

Alison Oh, I love magical realism. Coupled with your in-person observations, this is definitely going on my list now.

By the way, think you'll have any time to chat books in MN next week?

Allison We better! I arrive Minneapolis Saturday late afternoon. Staying at the Chambers hotel wherever that funkhouse is. Gimme your cell number and let me know where you are. I am there until Mon nite. Maybe you want to come out with my posse on Sun nite for dindin. I promise fun.
xo
A
917-783-7915

message 3: by Alison (new) - added it

Alison Awesome and I'd love to come out with the A-team! I get in on Sunday morning and am staying at the Millenium. 617-909-2170. I'll give you a ring for all the details on Sunday.